Thursday, February 26, 2009

Selling my Junk...Err Treasures


So I'm doing my first garage sale this weekend, and I have no idea what to expect. I've spoken to a few friends about it and they all have told me the same thing. "To expect lots of people to show up" but I don't know if I've done a good job promoting this thing. Sure I put an ad up in my local paper, but has anyone seen it? I got 40 flyers sitting in my car but I have no idea where to put them up (Plus I forgot to bring tape).


Good thing the Yard Sale Queen is here!


Let me tell you that I've gone all over the net researching this thing but she has given me good tips. Such as:


"Know when the major employers in your area get paid. If you know the biggest employer in the area only pays on the 1st of the month (or whatever) then schedule your yardsale for the following Saturday. Other people have told me the same thing about waiting until after the monthly Social Security checks come out. "


Thats a good one, that's why I'm thinking of having it at the local welfare office. More great advice includes:


"When pricing items, keep in mind that "a third of what it costs new" is only a guideline. No one cares that you paid $75 for your advanced quantum physics book 10 years ago. You'll be lucky to sell it at all. Try to look at your stuff objectively. Do you really think people will be knocking down your door to get at your old t-shirts with stains on them? That's why they make good rags. If you have a bunch of items that are missing pieces or broken, put it in your FREE box with a note "broken - good for parts" or something similar. "


Hey listen queenie...I'm not giving anyone my lava lamp for anything less than $75...ok maybe $10...alright its not really a lava lamp its a twig painted with a highlighter...2 bucks?


Ok lady anything thing else?


"Use commonsense and don't prop up a nice framed picture against a rocking chair on a very windy day. No, I didn't do it but I was at a yardsale where the seller had a lot of glass shards to clean up. "


I guess I'll just throw away the huge box of glass shards I was planning on selling to kids.


Alright lets see how this thing goes this weekend I hope I dont have any scammers.


"For safety reasons, its best to have another person or persons helping you conduct your yardsale. But if you can't and have some scary looking customers, you can pretend to have someone else with you - just yell into the house "Hey Bob, bring me a soda when you get a chance". It's wise to have a cordless phone or cell phone on you (in your carpenter's apron) at all times. But don't set it down, because someone will want to buy it!"


That is great advice so I'll make sure my friends Desert Eagle and Glocky McGlockenstein help me out during the sale.
Alright I'm ready to do this!

No comments: